Sunday, July 28, 2013

ALBUM REVIEW: Magna Carta Holy Grail - Jay Z



Jay Z, is the best rapper alive in my opinion so I hold him to unbelievable standards when reviewing his works. One thing I can never do is compare his albums to anyone elses. I only compare Jay Z to Jay Z!

With that said, his new release "Magna Carta Holy Grail", while it has moments of greatness, falls short of what I expect from the self proclaimed "God MC".

I can make a case that this album can be ranked no higher than 8th compared to his prior work.
(Note: Jay Z says himself that he would rank this album 4th behind "Reasonable Doubt", "Blueprint" and "Black Album".)

I say those 3 are most definitely better but also "In My lifetime Vol 1", "Hard Knock life Vol. 2", "American Gangster" and "Blueprint 3" as well, while I put MCHG in the class of "Kingdom Come", and "Vol. 3". I say that because both these projects contain material I feel that are amazing, but also some songs that are sub par; meaning they all lack consistency.
(Ie. On Volume 3: Amazing: Dope Man, NYMP, Do it again, Come and get me, big pimpin. There's been a murder... Very Sub par: things that you do, pop 4 roc, s.carter)

This is no knock on Jay Z as it is common for us as hip hop fans to be tough graders when comparing certified classic material to new releases. I judge Jay on his consistency from track to track because he has such a huge catalog; And because of that we know exactly what we can expect from him. With that I also expect him to evolve in some way(s) which he did as he spoke more in-depth on his 5 percent beliefs. But besides that I heard the same braggadocio Jay-Z, rapping about what he has and what we don't. Maybe I expected the "Watch The Throne" Jay Z, where he opened up and actually rapped about the struggle and how it affects us. Or maybe I'm just tired of all "Money, Cars, Hoes" rap, but that's a different story on its own.

Again, this is MY opinion...
"You feel me? And if you don't like it then fine.." To quote Jay-Z himself. (Streets Is Watching off "In my lifetime Vol. 1")

MCHG has many high points: The opening track "Holy Grail" is an amazing song and the perfect intro to this CD. Track 2: "Picasso Baby" is one of the best songs on this Cd as it reminds me of a vintage Hova. The beat is dope and gets better it switches up toward the end... as he rhymes:
"I never stuck my c*ck into Foxes box but/
damn If I ain't open Pandora's box/
they tried to slander ya man on CNN and FOX...."
(Note: He's debuting the video for "Picasso Baby" on HBO 8/2 at 11pm)

The next song "Tom Ford" is dope as well and is a fan favorite, as it should be. Oceans, Jay Z Blue, FUTW, crown and Heaven round out the Amazing parts of the album.

Now to the sub par:
-"FuckWitMeYouKnowIgotIt" sounds more like Rick Ross' song.
-BBC is a little short of horrible. The beat is corny sounding and the hook is very, very weak.
-Part II (on the run) sounds forced; As if he wanted to squeeze his wife Beyonce on the album somehow, just chose one of her unfinished songs and added his lyrics quickly. LOL I do not enjoy this song 1 bit.
-His flow on LaFamilia is catchy but very awkward sounding. Also the "Lil Wayne dis" he started the song with was very weak as well. Like... C"mon Hova... That was very "Ghoulish" sounding. On BP3 you came at "the necks of your former Roc-A-Fellas signees hard and you come at Lil Wayne so softly? C'mon SUN!
-I can't get into Nickels and Dimes either... Even though lyrically he's bringing it, the beat and hook seems like something I've heard before. (Not my cup of tea)

I will say: "Versus", a interlude of sorts, should have been a full song. He needed that type of energy on this project.
But "Beach is Better" is the worst! It just sounds terrible to me .. Sorry!

Overall I like MCHG but I do skip a bunch of tracks as I play the album, which is something I'm not used to doing while playing Jay Z album through my speakers.


Ones' Rating:
Magna Carta Holy Grail = 7/10

Wondering how i would rate his other Albums?

Reasonable Doubt = 10/10 #Classic
In my Lifetime Vol.1 = 8/10
Vol. 2 ...Hard Knock Life = 9/10
S.Carter Vol.3 = 7/10
Dynasty La Familia = 6/10
Blueprint = 10/10 #Classic
Blueprint 2.1: The Gift & the Curse = 6/10
Kingdom Come = 7/10
Black Album = 10/10 #Classic
American Gangster = 9/10
Blueprint 3 = 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment