Sunday, July 28, 2013

ALBUM REVIEW: YEEZUS - Kanye West and More...


Y do I love the Yeezus album?

Its simple, Kanye is interesting to me;
Musically and Lyrically.

On 1st listen, As the CD began.. I let go a huge UH OH! (As in: "WTF is this?)
The techno sounding beat to "On Sight" sounded weird at 1st (I eventually got used to it). This song is most definitely the weakest song on this 10 track album but I tolerate it because Kanye says enough interesting things for me to do so. U see, I know Kanye is not a wordsmith so I do not criticize him toughly, lyrically.

"Soon as I pull up and park the Benz/
We get this bitch shaking like Parkinson's/
Take my number and lock it in/
Indian hair, no moccasins/
It's too many hoes in this house of sin/
Real nigga back in the house again/
Black Timbs all on your couch again/
Black dick all in your spouse again/
And I know she like chocolate men/
She got more niggas off than Cochran, huh?"

...is all I expect from him and its entertaining.

"Black Skinhead" sounds like a retro tribal song and immediately invokes me to get my boogie on.
"I am God" is simply amazing, simply put. Ye' rides The beat perfectly and does what he does best which is cause an uproar with his far from delicate wordings.

("I just talked to Jesus, he said what up Yeezus/
i said: shit I'm chillin, trynto stack these millions/
i know he the most high...")

"New Slaves" sounds like a upbeat Negro Spiritual. He again shows he isn't scared to talk about this world seen through a black man's eyes regardless of his existence in a high tax bracket.
("Yall throwing contracts at me, yall know a nigga can't read...")

"Hold My liquor" features a hook by Chief Keef who's off beat flow is perfect for this beats deep bass line.
This is a Vintage Kanye track, as is "I'm in it". The former includes a reggae sample that fits the track perfectly.

"Blood on the leaves" perfectly samples Nina Simone's 'Strange Fruit' while "Guilt trip" is enjoyable as well. Another perfect reggae sample and Kid Cudi's singing on the hook makes this song completely dope.

"Send it up" is a party starter and Beenie Man's "Memories" sampled voice makes another reggae inspired appearance. It shows me that Ye' is willing to touch every genre and isn't afraid to let any and everybody into the party like he's the coolest 'bouncer' ever. LOL

"Bound2" is the perfect closing for this CD, another Vintage Kanye performance.


If this is Kanye's 'experimental' album then either he's found a formula that works or he can do no wrong musically (In my eyes). As a rapper myself, I DO NOT see myself rapping on most of these beats. They're too 'left field' for my taste but Yeezy makes it work almost flawlessly.

I would not by any means say this album is better than: "Born Sinner" or "Good Kid, Maad City" because those albums are completely different than Yeezus. J.Cole and Kendrick Lamar are wordsmiths and Kanye isn't. (But don't tell Ye that LOL)
I rate this album, not as just a Hip Hop album but a work of art.

Point is: I love this CD!
When I press play, I do not need the skip button... Only the rewind!
If it wasn't for the techno sounding 'On Sight', I would give this CD a 9.5!!
(Seriously Big Homie! #Insider)

Yeezus Grade = 9/10

Btw:

Nas - Life is Good = 10/10
(I can officially call this a #Classic <Nas at his best>

Wu Tang & D-Block - Wu Block = 8/10
(This flew under the radar last year, all these mc's brought their best rhymes to the table)

J.Cole - Born Sinner = 9/10
(Amazingly Constructed, Dope lyrics. Twice as good as his 1st album)

Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid Maad City= 9.5/10
(Kendrick is the young King of rap right now, this album will be talked about forever)

Wale - The Gifted=7/10
(Wale put together a solid album here but i do utilize the skip button a bunch of times on this)

No comments:

Post a Comment